The governor has started rolling out a process for businesses to re-open in the state of Texas. Many people are excited, many are upset, and many also remain confused as to what is the best path for re-opening. Our team will release these items in two parts:
- Taking Care of Your Team
- Taking Care of Your Customers
There is no denying that every business relies on customers. We all have to have them in order to still call ourselves a business, but as we work to re-open our doors we have to establish that our offices are places safe to return to.
That process starts with making a place our team feels safe returning to. We fail to effectively lead our teams if we rely on their dependence on a paycheck to return. We have to make sure that we demonstrate to our teams first and foremost that we have a plan in place to ensure their safety.
How do we do that?
- Show up and Be Present
- Our staffs need to see us present and leading. Just because we can lead remotely doesn’t mean we should be.
- Acknowledge that it is ok to be unsure.
- Be honest with them that no environment can be 100% safe but you are doing everything you can.
- Outline on-site and off-site job expectations
- How frequently does an employee need to be in the office?
- Is remote work still an option?
- Performance expectations might have to be adjusted as people are still dealing with unique challenges outside of the office. Be aware and empathetic.
- Tell them your plan and expectations
- What will you expect them to do to keep the environment disinfected?
- What safety material will the office provide?
- What is the process for reporting illness?
- Listen! Listen! Listen!
- Your team is going to provide you great insight into what needs to be addressed. They will be a glimpse into the minds of your customers.
- They will also provide great solutions to the challenges you may end up facing. They will want to be heard first and included in discussions second.
- After Listening, Take Action
- Don’t gather feedback and concerns and do nothing. Take action.
- Practice Gratitude
- Your doors are opening again, take a moment, and be thankful!
- For specific guidelines and guidance, please see the following from Governor Abbott:
- Resources for the state of Texas:
- Overview – https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/opentexas.aspx
- For Employers – https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/docs/opentx/AllEmployers.pdf